Favourite Television Viewing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Favourite Television Viewing

Gordon...You are so far away from all of us in the USA. However, I want to let you know that I have absolutely LOVED seeing all the videos that you have posted. I am an Anglophile, with Scottish roots. As a young teen I spent 3 years of my life in England, as my dad was an officer in the USAF, and we were stationed at RAF Stn. Bentwaters in E. Suffolk. Ever since, I have watched, read, and generally "gobbled" all I could get of the television programs that are like those you posted. But, we get them on PBS, and cannot control what they put on. I have cousins in Scotland, & in England, as my mother's parents came over directly from Great Britain. Thank you for such a grand array of videos, and I will continue to hope we can get Taggart again, and some of the others I do not know!!! You've made my evening! Joan

Comment

Dempsey and Makepeace S3 E5 Extreme Prejudice pt1

'Extreme Prejudice' Part 2

All the other parts are available on youtube

Comment

Edward Woodward is a brilliant actor.here is just a snippet from an episode of "The Equalizer"

Equalizer--Beyond Control

Control (Robert Lansing) hires McCall (Edward Woodward)to protect him. In the end, McCall is reminded of Control's natural tendencies. Episode originally aired on 14 January 1987.

Comment

Originally posted by FriedaKateM View Post
          Gordon...You are so far away from all of us in the USA. However, I want to let you know that I have absolutely LOVED seeing all the videos that you have posted. I am an Anglophile, with Scottish roots. As a young teen I spent 3 years of my life in England, as my dad was an officer in the USAF, and we were stationed at RAF Stn. Bentwaters in E. Suffolk. Ever since, I have watched, read, and generally "gobbled" all I could get of the television programs that are like those you posted. But, we get them on PBS, and cannot control what they put on. I have cousins in Scotland, & in England, as my mother's parents came over directly from Great Britain. Thank you for such a grand array of videos, and I will continue to hope we can get Taggart again, and some of the others I do not know!!! You've made my evening! Joan

Hi Joan,

Here is some "Taggart" news for you :smile:

The return of Taggart: Blythe Duff and Alex Norton reveal all

The stars of the detective show talk about how it’s changed for the latest series and what viewers can expect to see.
          .30 September 2010 12:32 GMT
          from.Scotland on TV. :cool:

The new six-part series of Taggart kicks off this Sunday, October 3, and with a new police station, fresh additions to the cast, and a new producer, the much-loved detective show has undergone a bit of an image overhaul.

The result is a slicker programme than ever before, which was filmed in HD - but the gritty storylines and Glasgow humour remains, ensuring the programme still appeals to the fans who have watched it since it first began in 1983.

Go to the link to read/see more

http://entertainment.stv.tv/tv/20031...on-reveal-all/

Gordon :angelic:

Comment

Here is another great Scottish Television series...........it should bring back a few memories for "Glesgalass" :redrose:

The Steamie (Part 1 of 9)

Tony Roper's (Rab C Nesbitt's Jamsie) comic play based on the lives of a group of women who meet in the wash-house before the Hogmanay celebrations in 1957.

Tony Roper wrote 'The Steamie' for Glasgow's Mayfest in 1987 and since then the play has always been in production somewhere in Britain. This is your chance to own the original version of the smash-hit of the year which played to packed audiences in the theatre and was watched by millions when it was produced for television.

Return to Hogmany 1957 when a feisty bunch of Glasgow women, Mrs Culfeathers, Dolly, Doreen and the irrepressible Magrit, all meet at the Steamie to do the traditional family wash before the New Year.

Laugh again at Mrs Culfeather's wonderfull Galloway's mince, enjoy the fantasy phone call between Magrit and Dolly and wonder at the welly-booted tango when Dolly bends over backwards to grab a rose in her teeth.

The Steamie is a hilarious cameo of Glasgow history where the washing was always easier to do when the women shared their laughter and sorrow and a scandalous supply of gossip!

This is the definitive version of the most popular play of the last 20 years with the all star cast of Dorothy Paul as Magrit, Eileen McCallum as Dolly, Katy Murphy as Doreen, Sheila Donald as Mrs Culfeathers and Peter Mullan as Andy, the whisky-loving handy man.

The Steamie is a joy. This is one part of your DVD collection you will watch again and again.

ll the other parts are on Youtube

Comment

Here is one to make think, sit back and compete with Jonathan Creek as he solves yet another mystery. :cool:

Jonathan Creek Black Canary Part1

Part 1 of 9
              (c)BBC MCMXCVIII
              (1998) Christmas Special
              A famous illusionist (whose twin sister died when an escape trick went wrong and she was partially sliced in half) is found in her back garden, having been witnessed shooting herself by her husband. However, the post-mortem reveals that she had already been dead for several hours, and there are no other footprints around the body despite her husband seeing someone talking to her and fleeing before she pulled the trigger. Jonathan and Maddie are prompted to investigate by the dead woman's daughter — an old flame of Jonathan's — along with the debonair Detective Inspector Gideon Pryke, the police officer officially in charge of the case. Back at the theatre, Adam has fallen in love with an Austrian virgin in her thirties, but she may have more layers than even he knows.

Jonathan Creek Black Canary Part2

The remaining parts are all available on youtube, plus there are many other episodes/series available.

Comment

I really like watching any of the CSI's, my favourite would be CSI: New York. I also like a bit of the new Taggart.

Comment

Another enjoyable detective show........ this one starring Pauline Quirke.

Maisie Raine

Comment

Another series, this time a comedy, also starring Pauline Quirke with Linda Robson.

:laugh2: Birds Of A Feather :laugh2:

Birds of a Feather "On the Glass" part 1 of 3

Comment

Pauline Quirke, Linda Robson and Lesley Joseph in Birds of a Feather

Comment

The 1900's House

3 Months in a 1900 House

Victorian houses may be beautiful... But could you live in one? Look what happened to the Bowlers. The adventurous family volunteered to spend three months in a Victorian townhouse for a British television series, The 1900 House. Stripped of every modern convenience, the house was professionally restored to its 1900 appearance and function.
                        The television show looked at the hardships the Bowlers faced as they tried to deal with the lack of electricity and modern appliances. Chamber pots, cold baths, and a malfunctioning coal-burning range lead to frayed nerves and short tempers.

But the lack of modern technology was only part of the problem. As the Bowler family tried to adapt to life in the Victorian home, they discovered that the essential shape of the house - the floor plan - affected their lives in subtle yet profound ways.

to see aphotograph of the house and floor plan check the link http://architecture.about.com/od/res...900house_2.htm

THE 1900 HOUSE -- a documentary that "transports" an actual modern family from 1999 back to life in 1900 in England.

part02

Comment

part03

part04

All other parts are available on Youtube

Comment

Life On Mars - (UK) Series

Alastair should enjoy this---- A mix of science-fiction as the scenario to an entertaining police drama.

Life on Mars
                            Life on Mars is a British television drama that aired on BBC One in 2006 and 2007. With two series of 8 episodes each, Life on Mars is about DCI/DI Sam Tyler who, after a serious car accident in the present, wakes up in the year 1973. He returns to the police station to find himself now a Detective Inspector instead of a Detective Chief Inspector.

Series 1 Episode 01 - Part 1

Life on Mars Trailer 2

the DVD of the series is worth having

Comment

The sequel to the previous series is................... Ashes to Ashes

The series tells the fictional story of Alex Drake (played by Keeley Hawes), a female police officer in service with the London Metropolitan Police, who is shot in 2008, and inexplicably regains consciousness in 1981.[3]

The first episode of the series reveals that, in the present day, Drake has been studying records of the events seen in Life on Mars. Upon waking in the past she is surprised to meet the returning characters of Gene Hunt (Philip Glenister), Ray Carling (Dean Andrews) and Chris Skelton (Marshall Lancaster) all of whom she has learned of from her research, the trio having transferred from the Manchester setting of Life on Mars (Manchester and Salford Police) to London.

Tension between Drake and Hunt is built through the unsatisfactory explanation of Sam Tyler's absence, and the perceived underhandedness and shoddy work of Hunt in contrast to the methodical, ethical and thoroughly modern Drake. Continuing the theme of Life on Mars, throughout the series it is ambiguous to both Drake and the audience whether the character is dead or alive in the present day and to what extent her actions have any effect on events.

It's Playtime! - Ashes to Ashes - Series 3 Episode 6 Preview - BBC One

All hell has broken loose at Fenchurch East prison; the inmates are rioting and DCI Gene Hunt is ready to go in all guns blazing to teach the lags a lesson.

This series is also available on DVD and is quite entertaining.
                              Last edited by 1938 Observer; 18 March 2011, 01:56. Reason: Adding story/plot details

Comment

Now I have to say I really enjoyed this program and made a point of watching it when the series was going out. I seem to remember the only real cheating that went on came from the female members getting better soaps and hair washing preparations. And they did discover the cooker was not working properly and they got someone in to fix the problem but I think that was the only major issue they had.

Alastair

Comment

Working...
                                X