Favourite Television Viewing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Favourite Television Viewing

Here is an old comedy fro the distant [very] past.

The Army Game

The occupants of hut 29 at Nether Hopping barracks soft soap Sgt Major Snudge with a lovely rendition of Comrades!

Comment

The Army Game Snudges Budgie

Sgt Major Snudge puts up a reward for the return of his missing budgie!

The Army Game S04E08 Part 1

Comment

It Ain't Half Hot Mum - The Dhobi Wallahs 1-3

S6-E4 : The Japanese organise a pincer movement which takes the British by surprise

It Ain't Half Hot Mum - Kidnapped In The Khyber 1-3

S4-E2 : The men from the Concert Party have to travel to the Northwest Frontier to put on a show.

Comment

Downton Abbey

I've just begun to view this excellent British Television period series, it's well worth watching, what surprised me initially is that the script writer is nonother than Julian Fellowes who played the part of "Lord Kilwillie" in the Scottish TV Series "Monarch of the Glen".

Downton Abbey ITV1 promo

Downton Abbey - How far will you go

Video about the first episode of the ITV television period drama Downton Abbey. :)
          The show is set in 1912, in an Edwardian country house.

Comment

"Downton Abbey" was actually filmed at Highclere Castle, the home of The Earl & Countess of Carnavon

To learn more about this stately setting for the series just go to the link at the foot of this post.

Highclere Castle has been home to the Carnarvon family since 1679. Built on an ancient site, the original house was recorded in the Domesday Book.

The present day Castle was designed in 1842 by Sir Charles Barry, the architect also responsible for building the Houses of Parliament in Westminster.

The Castle’s history also includes a fascinating connection with ancient Egypt, as the 5th Earl, with Howard Carter, discovered the tomb of Tutankhamun in the Valley of the Kings in 1922. The Castle now houses an exhibition that commemorates this historic event, including some rare antiquities from the 5th Earl's earlier Egyptian excavations.

There is also another video to view.

http://www.highclerecastle.co.uk/

Also view and 'click on' images of Highclere Castle at this link... http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/...erecastle.html

Creator and Oscar-winning screenwriter Julian Fellowes introduces the setting for the story, Downton Abbey, in his script: "The sun is rising behind Downton Abbey, a great and splendid house in a great and splendid park. So secure does it appear, that it seems as if the way of life it represents will last for another thousand years. It won't." Indeed, on the cusp of the end of an entire way of life, the house, portrayed by Highclere Castle, transcends location and becomes a character -- and one of the biggest stars -- in Downton Abbey

Comment

The No.1 Ladies Detective Agency

About The Program
              From the novels by Alexander McCall-Smith, Precious Ramotswe (Jill Scott) is the eminently sensible and wise proprietor of the only female-owned detective agency in Botswana. She started the agency with the proceeds of the sale of 180 cows, left to her by her father, using the talents he helped her hone, like sharp eyes and ears, good memory and patience.

Helped by her efficient, but highly-strung and rather peculiar secretary Mma Makutsi (Anika Noni Rose), Precious investigates cases, helps people solve problems in their lives and begins a special friendship with JLB Matekoni (Lucian Msamati), the highly respectable owner of a local garage.

After a slow start, the agency gets its first client, the well-off Happy (Bongeka Mpongwana) who is suspicious that an old man who showed up at her door claiming to be her father, is a fake.

The No.1 Ladies Detective Agency: Episode 1 Part 1

Episode 1 Part 2

all other parts available youtube

Comment

Trial & Retribution X: Sins Of The Father

(part 1)

DCI Roisin O'Connor and DS David Satchell investigate the apparent murder of Emily Harrogate who is found by her parents at the bottom of the cellar stairs. When the parents and their two younger children returned home the previous evening, they assumed she was in, but did not check. The girl's mother Diedre is a compulsive cleaner and cleaned the house before going to bed. When they found the girl the next morning, the distraught parents moved her to the study. Between the cleaning and moving the body, much of the evidence has been contaminated. The police suspect however that someone she knew killed her and eventually focus on a teen-aged neighbor, Michael Summerby. Det. Chief Supt. Michael Walker meanwhile works to ensure that a dangerous sociopath isn't released on parole. He's also having trouble with his 15-year old son who has become withdrawn and seems to have lost all interest in school. When the boy is arrested, Walker decides to take some time off to help him.

(part 2)

Other parts are available.

Comment

HI, Gordon...I did not watch Downton Abbey, as I'd read on some of the blurbs about it, that the one shown in England, Scotland, etc. was much better. They said that "for Americans", they wouldn't understand some of the references, language, etc. So they cleaned it up for us. I was kind of put off by that, as I feel somebody's underestimating Americans who WOULD watch Downton Abbey. As Yogi Bear would say, "I'm smarter than the average bear!" Joan

Comment

When I was in Arizona almost 7 years ago I watched a couple of Scottish programmes into which they had added sub-titles......one was a Billy Connelly movie. I have to say that I was a bit insulted because it wasn't THAT hard to understand.

Comment

Hi Joan & Hi Elda,

I think the "cleanup" was probably requested by "George Dubya" due to his inability to communicate effectively..

Comment

Hello....Just for someone's information, I did some research on the "nonedited UK version" of Downton Abbey online. You can get it on American Amazon now, which is the cheapest I found, at $15.19, plus $2.98 shipping, whereas the Masterpiece website, their same version is $12.99, with Free Shipping.

I doubt if I will buy either at present, as my "pennies are screaming"!! Joan

Comment

Gordon/Joan.. Parts of Downton Abby was filmed at Highclere Castle, and while we don't watch the series on the telly, Sue and myself will hopefully pay a visit to Highclere Castle when we are in the UK next year!
                          http://www.highclerecastle.co.uk/visitor/opening.html
                          Euan..

Comment

Just noted an actual "mistake", in my posting above, in regard to Masterpiece's Downton Abbey DVD. It is $24.99, can't figure out WHY I made such a stupid mistake!! Please forgive??? Joan
                            Last edited by FriedaKateM; 28 October 2011, 13:57. Reason: Previous mistake!!!

Comment

In regard to the above mentioned Downton Abbey, I started watching it on our PBS, starting with Season 1, which hooked me. Then missed recording the first of the Season 2, which later watched (in order) on my computer, then followed with the rest of the episodes in that season. I really loved it, & continue to have the whole thing on my DVR. Perhaps will leave it, perhaps delete them. It's projected that there'll be a 3rd season as well. Humbly, Joan

Comment

Hi Joan,

My daughter presented me with a book the other day, "The World of Downton Abbey"..by Jessica Fellowes, it's a great read, discusses all the characters, plenty of photographs and a great deal of information on the historical situation of the time where the series was set. You would enjoy the book. It is available from Amazon in hardcover.

Here is a good review for you to read.................

Jessica Fellowes and the World of Downton Abbey http://edwardianpromenade.com/interv...downton-abbey/

Comment

Working...
                                X