Excavation in Camelon reveals hidden Roman past

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Excavation in Camelon reveals hidden Roman past

The following link to the Falkirk Herald newspaper, gives a report of ongoing historic finds in Falkirk.

http://www.falkirkherald.co.uk/news/...past_1_1881696

The site is not far from me, and as a member of the Falkirk History Society, I hope to keep a good watch on the progress.

However, as the site is listed for a TESCA supermarket, I fear the money will talk, and a full research will not be possible.

Ranald

Re: Excavation in Camelon reveals hidden Roman past

I know that remains of the Antonine Wall can be seen at Castlecary & Bonnybridge. The Castlecary ones are hard to see but it's quite clear in Bonnybridge even though it was just an earth wall. It's amazing it can still be seen after so long. But where does it go after Bonnybridge?

Elda
    Last edited by Glesgalass; 30 September 2011, 22:44.

Comment

Originally posted by Glesgalass View Post
      I know that remains of the Antonine Wall can be seen at Castlecary & Bonnybridge. The Castlecary ones are hard to see but it's quite clear in Bonnybridge even though it was just an earth wall. It's amazing it can still be seen after so long. But where does it go after Bonnybridge?

Elda
      Hi Elda,

Here is a site to have a look at, plenty of photographs, plus a map and links to other sources.

Gordon.

Antonine Wall - Frontiers of Roman Britain
      - a future World Heritage Site?
      http://www.paperclip.org.uk/kilsythweb/history/ant1.htm

Comment

Life Along the Antonine Wall

The Roman occupation left both a physical and social mark on Scotland. Archaeologists have unearthed many clues into life along the Antonine Wall. Geoff Bailey, Keeper of Archaeology & Local History from Falkirk Council, takes viewers on a tour of the life along the Antonine Wall through Roman period exhibits at Callendar House and Kinneil Museum.

The Antonine Wall in Scotland

The Antonine Wall in Scotland is the northernmost frontier monument of the Roman Empire. In 2008 this archaeological monument became UNESCO World Heritage Site. This video was created 2007 within the framework of the European project "Frontiers of the Roman Empire" (Culture 2000 program). Author: Boundary Productions.

Comment

Working...
        X