BBC site for history

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BBC site for history

I hope that the following link will work for those outside the UK, as it has a valuable amount of history, and is well worth a visit.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/

Ranald

Re: BBC site for history

It works in Ontario Canada.

Comment

I found this obituary and thought it would give more information on the lady.

Ranald

Ishbel MacAskill obituary
      Scottish singer known as the 'Gaelic diva'
      · Derek Schofield
      · guardian.co.uk, Thursday 14 April 2011 17.55 BST

Ishbel MacAskill represented Gaelic song around the world as far afield as Korea, and on TV’s Transatlantic Sessions
      Ishbel MacAskill, who has died after a fall aged 70, was an outstanding singer of Gaelic song, often referred to as the "Gaelic diva". The emotional quality of her unaccompanied singing transcended language barriers. She sang in Washington DC and Cape Breton in Canada, as well as at Glasgow's celebrated Celtic Connections festival and on the Transatlantic Sessions television series. MacAskill also appeared as Nora, the shop assistant, in the popular 1990s Gaelic language soap opera, Machair, on Scottish TV.

The best of the younger generation of Gaelic singers, Julie Fowlis, acknowledged MacAskill's influence. "She had a rich, distinctive voice, a great sense of fun and personality in droves. Coupled with her effortless charm and stage presence, she captivated audiences all over the world."
      MacAskill's repertoire included the "waulking" songs – work songs sung by women while they were softening Harris tweed cloth – and "puirt-a-beul" (mouth music) which kept alive dance tunes after musical instruments were banned, as well as the laments and ballads recorded, published and popularised by song collectors such as Marjorie Kennedy-Fraser and Alan Lomax.

Born in Broker, on the Point peninsula, Isle of Lewis, Ishbel MacIver moved with her family when she was 12 to Stornoway, the island's capital, where she went to school at the Nicolson Institute. After furthering her studies and working in Glasgow, she married Bill MacAskill and concentrated on raising a family. There were no singers in her immediate family, but MacAskill started singing almost as soon as she could talk. Well into adulthood, however, her singing was confined to the home. The folk duo Robin Hall and Jimmie MacGregor tried, unsuccessfully, to get her to join them after hearing her sing at a party.

It was not until 1979 that she sang in public, at a fringe event at the National Mod, a celebration of Gaelic culture. Over the following three decades, MacAskill established herself as a superb interpreter of Gaelic song, performing throughout Scotland as well as at festivals and concerts abroad. In 2003, she sang at the World Festival of Island Cultures, Korea, and represented Scotland at the Smithsonian Folklife festival in Washington. She appeared many times at the Celtic Connections winter festival in Glasgow. She also sang to great acclaim at the inaugural Celtic Colours festival in Cape Breton, Canada, in 1997.

She was an inspiring teacher of Gaelic songs, especially to children at the Fčisean – festivals of song and music – in the Scottish highlands and islands. Her repertoire extended to blues and jazz and her willingness to embrace other musical styles made her a natural choice for the BBC Scotland TV programme Transatlantic Sessions. MacAskill appeared alongside Ricky Skaggs and Nanci Griffith, and sang the centuries-old lament Piobaireachd Dhomhnaill Dhuibh (Black Donald's Pibroch) in a 1998 broadcast. She later appeared in the first stage performance of Transatlantic Sessions (1994), when she sang the Eriskay Love Lilt.

For the broadcaster and Gaelic speaker and singer Mary Ann Kennedy, MacAskill was "blessed with a voice which drew its water from the well of the Gaelic-speaking highlands and islands where unaccompanied song is the heart of the tradition. Her voice had a unique quality akin to the great American soul singers." She made two solo albums, Sėoda (Silk, 1994) and Essentially Ishbel (2000).
      MacAskill is survived by Bill, four children and several grandchildren.

• Ishbel MacAskill, Gaelic singer, born 14 March 1941; died 31 March 2011

Comment

Hey Ranald,
        Hope you are doing well. The linked worked for me just fine too. Thanks!

Comment

Thanks for the feedback Diane, yes I'm fine, but we are forecast for snow for three days, so may just stay in bed lol

Ranald

Comment

Ranald,

The link works fine, the various news items may be read, but when it came to viewing "Battle of Britain" videos etc., it was the usual BBC guff, 'not available your area'. Tried viewing "Who do You think You Are?" clips ,same result.
            Fortunately all the text regarding history etc., could be studied.

Gordon.
            Last edited by 1938 Observer; 23 January 2012, 21:39. Reason: additional text

Comment

Gordon, you should be able to view the BBC stuff if you follow the advice I posted some time ago about using Firefox and and add on. As always I've forgotten where I posted it but a search for Firefox should bring it up...

Sandy

Comment

Sandy, I think the following is the message, to which you referred.

Ranald

<quote starts>
                Free Proxy Server info for Firefox - watch UK TV programmes via iPlayer

This download extension for Firefox will "mask" your geographical location and should be able to let people outside the UK to watch BBCiPlayer programs. If you can use iPlayer then it also lets you link to ITV and other channels.

I have not used this but my son in Canada has - there are occasional problems apparently but it is reasoanbly reliable...

http://stealthy.en.softonic.com/
                Good Luck
                Sandy
                <quote ends>

Comment

Thanks once again, Ranald.
                  I'll be checking out for myself in February when I am back across the pond~
                  Sandy

Comment

Working...
                  X