Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Story that has made newspapers world wide

http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...te_slavery.htm

When I first wrote this story, I never thought it would go world wide. It has been in a Canadian Newspaper, South Africa and Australia.

Thanks to Electric Scotland, we can tell the other side of certain stories!
    kellyd:redrose:

Re: A Story that has made newspapers world wide

Kelly,

First time I have actually read this, it's a good and enlightening article,I generally have been associating white convicts with this concept rather than with the actual specific purpose of transportation as a "white slave" concept.:eek:

At the moment I am reading an excellent book..............The Fatal Shore by Robert Hughes.

I will insert below a brief description of the book and ISBN number :smile:

---------------------------------------------------------------

Description

'The Fatal Shore' is horrifying and humorous, at times touching and at others inspiring, and is thoroughly absorbing. Hughes states his intention: "To see the System from below, through convicts' testimony—in letters, depositions, petitions and memoirs—about their own experiences.” In the 90 years of “transportation”, (known loosely as “the System”), some 165,000 convicts were sent to Australia from Britain. Most “never wore chains, got their tickets-of-leave and in due course were absorbed into colonial society as free citizens”. Most preferred “to stay and rejected the idea of going back to England.” As Hughes points out, “the post-colonial history of Australia utterly exploded the theory of genetic criminal inheritance.”

The book can broadly be seen as five sections:

The historical, political and social reasons that led to transportation to Australia
    The hardships of the voyage and of the early years of the colony
    The make-up of the convict population
    The secondary detention centres such as Norfolk Island
    The established colonies and the moves toward abolition

Initially the convicts were sent to the New World of America and the Caribbean, until the American Revolution.

There is a lot more information at the link & the book is still available

http://www.gould.com.au/Fatal-Shore-...n-p/and138.htm

cheers
    Gordon

Comment

Gordon,

Thanks for sharing this, it will be another book I will need to read. It is simply amazing how and what these folks were convicted of at the time! You should do an Australian view for our history section.

I want to ask a very silly question here but a necessary one. Did the Scots in Australia carry the burden of their ancestors through the ages?

Why I ask this, my grandfather put me in charge of 'clearing the family name' when I was only 3. I know it sounds very odd but he insisted I was the only one in the family with the gift and I had to remember.

Do you find other Scots abroad who have this same inclination?

Your view will be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by Kelly d View Post
        Gordon,

Thanks for sharing this, it will be another book I will need to read. It is simply amazing how and what these folks were convicted of at the time! You should do an Australian view for our history section.

I want to ask a very silly question here but a necessary one. Did the Scots in Australia carry the burden of their ancestors through the ages?

Why I ask this, my grandfather put me in charge of 'clearing the family name' when I was only 3. I know it sounds very odd but he insisted I was the only one in the family with the gift and I had to remember.

Do you find other Scots abroad who have this same inclination?

Your view will be greatly appreciated.

Hi Kelly,

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "clearing the family name":confused:

I grew up amongst Scots and always found them (and they still are) fiercely independent and proud of their background (both my parents were "Falkirk Bairns"

Better meddle wi' the De'il than the Bairns of Falkirk". & "Touch ane, touch a'"

Gordon :redrose:

Comment

Hi Gordon,

I need to re-word this. It is so difficult to explain. Do the Scots worldwide who were Jacobites carry the burden of their ancestors or is it just the West Virginia Hillbillies? All my kin basically are aware we were started from a handful of 'white slaves' or the ones who drew the 10th lot. We are constantly searching because we feel it is important to find the truth.

I hope this helps?

Comment

I would say that the vast majority of Scots worldwide don't know if they are Jacobites or not. It's only folk that are digging into their genealogy that might come across a reference. Mind that genealogy is really a recent industry and mostly thanks to the Internet. Mind you my ancestors are all Scottish as far back as I can trace them but it never occurred to me to try and find out if they were Jacobites.

Alastair

Comment

You have a legitimate point here Allie. Many people who's ancestors went to the colonies during the time of the 15, 45 and War of Independence do not know their ancestors who left because of religious reasons were either Jacobites who were transported, Conventors or the poor highlanders who were just loaded like cattle. Most people in the USA will say,'my ancestor had to leave for religious reasons,' mainly because all history books refer to it as religious reasons. In my case, Granddaddy said,'you're this........ remember what you are and carry it on in the family. This would compare to oral history. Only I am a perfectionist and want to prove it with documents;0

There is a great series out on youtube about Scottish History. He tells it so well how the Scots had to re-invent themselves. I will find it, see if you have it posted already and post if needs be.

Comment

What I am finding is that many Scots left Scotland because they saw better opportunities elsewhere in the world. Many of the early Scots that went to North America sent letters back home telling of all the cheap land that could be got rent free. This encouraged many to make the trip themselves. And yes many left through religious persecution but it was also the letters home that encouraged them to leave.

We have an account of Norman MacLeod and his parishioners that moved to Canada but subsequently found it rather cold and when his son sailed to Australia he wrote his father about how Australia was better than Canada. They decided to take a third of the settlement to Australia but didn't find the conditions as good as they hoped. The son then contacted his father about New Zealand and so most of them moved there and settled Waipu. Subsequently the other two thirds of the settlers joined them in Waipu.

You can read about them at http://www.electricscotland.com/history/nz/waipundx.htm

Comment

I have been reading the Magistrates Records of those involved with the 45. It is very interesting how many were actually transported out and actually survived once they reached the colonies.

I am going to try to put up other links, here is a Canadian one for ya....

http://www.ltscotland.org.uk/scotsan...djacobites.asp

http://www.immigrantships.net/jacobite/warrant.html

Gosh, I reckon I will just have to finish this story in order for you to put it up in ES history. When my ancestor, Sanders was sent out on the Gildart, only 44 arrived alive out of 333. This is the big story I been working on where I keep hitting brick walls.

Comment

The US founding fathers also moved there to get away from religious persecution.
                    There is not one answer to who moved and why.
                    As to whether I feel a Jacobite or not, I can honestly say that I do not. But that is because I do not believe that the restoration of the Stuarts would have been a good thing.
                    I have no idea if any of my family were Jacobites. With my family name is is unlikely but not impossible - I have just read of one of that name from the Isle Of Eigg who fought on the Jacobite side at Culloden. (Remember that is not a Scottish v English conflict).
                    Sandy

Comment

Sandy,

What I have found out in several recent books I have read, Jacobites were Island wide, not just in Scotland. They are called Jacobites because they felt the Stuarts were chosen by God and had the legitimate right to the thrown. Jacobites were also strong Catholics.

There is two good books you may want to read. These are both by Oliver Thomas: From the Bloody Heart, the Stewarts and the Douglases and The Rise and Falls of the Royal Stewarts.

As for my peasant of a Stewart, he saved Argyl's life after the 45 therefore Argyl went to bat for him in magistrates court. Therefore I must agree, this isn't English vs Scotland but Windsor vs Stewart. :)

Comment

Working...
                      X