The Scottish Wildcat.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Scottish Wildcat.

There is a small item on this in the "Thistle & Whistle" thread (started by Alastair) which i had originally transferred from the 'old forum',.As it is a "nature" topic I shall restart here with some news on this endangered creature.

Video: Scottish wildcat and cub captured on film

Image of rare animals in a field captured by crofter in Aberdeenshire.
    .21 July 2011 15:14 GMT
    Scotland on TV.

A Scottish wildcat and her cub - among the rarest animals on earth - have been caught on camera.

The animals were just yards from the home of a crofter near Cornhill, a village near Banff in Aberdeenshire. He and his wife are keeping their identities and location secret because the wildcat is a protected species.

The crofter said: "We have had astonishing sightings in recent days, even seeing them playing at one point. We are in no doubt that they are wildcats. The kitten is about the size of an adult domestic cat, and you would not want the mother sitting on your lap.

"I think if you were confronted by it, you would turn around and walk the other way. To see a mother and kitten together is extremely rare. We believe there may be other kittens nearby, and she has been teaching this young one to hunt.

"We have watched the mother hunting and killing big rabbits and taking them into a nearby overgrown area, and we have also seen what we think is the father on his own.

"We have sighted large cats at this time of year from our house for the past four years. Initially we thought we were seeing a wild big cat, but these are most definitely wildcats. There is even a possibility that a big cat and a wildcat could have bred."

The mother and kitten were photographed about 100 yards from the Cornhill couple's house, and they also managed to get video footage.

"I have borrowed a hide so that I can get closer, in the hope that I can take even sharper pictures," added the crofter. "Photographs of them are very rare."

The Scottish wildcat is the UK's last large mammal predator. Although it my look similar to a domestic cat, there are a number of key differences that make the Scottish wildcat stand out. They are about 50% larger than a regular domestic cat, have thick striped coats and wider jaws and a thick ringed tail.

They are extremely powerful and fast, capable of reaching 30mph, but there are so few of them left that they are regarded as one of the UK's most endangered species.

The Cairngorm Wildcat Project has been set up to safeguard the surviving wildcat population. It is headed up by Dr David Hetherington, who has been sent pictures of the animals photographed near Cornhill.

He said: "It is difficult to say from the angle and clarity of the pictures whether they are definitely wildcats. I would need to see their coat markings in more detail.

"We are getting reports of wildcats in agricultural landscapes in Aberdeenshire, indicating that they are moving into areas where they are not normally found. It would be very exciting if these Cornhill animals were wildcats, but they may also be hybrids between wildcats and domestic or feral cats.

"Hybrids are a real threat to the future of the pure Scottish wildcat, apart from their limited numbers, and that is why we are keen that people living in rural areas get their farm and domestic cats neutered, to prevent any cross-breeding."

It is thought that there could be fewer than 400 wildcats remaining in the Highlands, making them rarer than Bengal tigers. Experts fear they are on the brink of extinction.

If the Cornhill sighting is verified, it would back up reports that the cats are extending out to agricultural areas of Aberdeenshire from their more common habitat around the Cairngorms.

Just go to the link to view the video. http://scotland.stv.tv/outdoors/2632...tured-on-film/

Re: The Scottish Wildcat.

THE WILDCAT EXPERIENCE ~ NEWTONMORE
    Search this site

THE WILDCAT EXPERIENCE ~ NEWTONMORE Times article
    How to take part
    Location and contact details
    Newtonmore
    Project background
    Some of the cats.....
    VOTE FOR YOUR FAVOURITE CAT
    The Scottish Wildcat
    The Wildcat Trail
    Who Runs the Attraction? THE WILDCAT EXPERIENCE ~ NEWTONMORE
    LOOKING FOR SOMETHING FUN TO DO WITH THE CHILDREN?
    SOMETHING YOU'D ENJOY TOO?...IN THE FRESH AIR... IN BEAUTIFUL SURROUNDINGS.... THEN
    THE WILDCAT EXPERIENCE ~ NEWTONMORE
    is just what you're looking for!

check it out http://sites.google.com/site/wildcatsnewtonmore/

Comment

Highland Tiger.........The Scottish Wildcat

Welcome to THE place for all things SCOTTISH WILDCAT!
      Hands up if you know what a Scottish wildcat is? Most of us know a fair bit about the problems facing polar bears, gorillas and tigers. But what about our very own native cat– Britain’s own ‘Highland Tiger’? Now there’s an animal in serious trouble.

So what’s the problem?
      The Scottish wildcat has become extremely rare. It’s much rarer than the Bengal tiger. In fact, experts believe there could be as few as 400 left in the wild. Yes, just 400! This makes the wildcat one of Britain’s most endangered species.

How’s this happened?
      Wildcats have endured centuries of habitat loss; they’ve been hunted for fur and have been killed as vermin. Here in 2009, you’d think they would enjoy a brighter future yet they’re more threatened than ever. Disease, and vehicle collisions take their toll but they also interbreed with domestic cats, diluting their genetic purity. Bad news!

To learn much more..just go to the website, view video and see photographs, learn all about it!!!!

http://www.highlandtiger.com/index.asp

Comment

HI, Gordon...

Thanks for putting all about Scottish Wildcat in one location! I like the site The Highland Tiger the best. Love those pictures. I think that the video of those people around Aberdeenshire was of an interbred mother with kitten. She looked very long & lithe, unlike the stockiness of the REAL wildcat. Anyway, that's just my two cents/shillings, or whatever!?! I really do love them. My cats who are both neutered toms, are quite big. I often wonder if the Scot wildcat is larger? Rennie is about 15 #'s now. Duncan probably about 11-12 #'s. See you. Joan

Comment

Working...
        X