Scots and Religion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scots and Religion

Given all the history I've gone through to learn about the history of Scotland and the Scots I've learned how religion was very important to the Scots and especially the Scots that emigrated all over the world.

One quote I found...

"The Reverend Malcolm MacDonald, a native of Whitton, Quebec, a descendant of the early Scots settlers and of the first church established in the area, says:

"‘The Book of Books was the library they opened, and the Church of Jesus Christ was the first institution they established and that in their homes, and the Gospel of Christ was the philosophy they espoused.’ "

"The most casual observer and historian must admit that these early settlers played a leading part in setting the course in which the Nation travels today.

"I am indeed grateful that we are privileged to stand in the stream of a noble, spiritual, national and cultural tradition, which has flourished in Scotland for centuries, and for some 150 years established firmly on this North American Continent, in both Canada and the United States.
    END.

As I started to build my knowledge of these Scots settlers I found indeed that the first building in the community was usually the church.

I created a section on Electric Scotland to try to give some of this religious background and you can find it at http://www.electricscotland.com/scottish_trivia.htm

Alastair

Re: Scots and Religion

Billy Chapin in A MAN CALLED PETER - 1955

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Peter Marshall (preacher)
    The Reverend Dr. Peter Marshall (27 May 1902 – January 26, 1949) was a Scottish-American preacher, and twice served as Chaplain of the United States Senate. He is remembered most popularly from the biography "A Man Called Peter", and the film made from it.

Born in Coatbridge (North Lanarkshire), Scotland, Marshall heard a strong calling to the ministry at a young age. Despite having no money, he nevertheless immigrated to New York in 1927 when he was 24. He graduated from Columbia Theological Seminary in 1931, when he became the pastor of First Presbyterian Church, a small, rural church in Covington, Georgia. After a brief pastorate, Marshall accepted a call to Atlanta's Westminster Presbyterian Church in 1933. It was in Atlanta that he met his future wife, Catherine Wood, a student at Agnes Scott College whom he married in 1936. Marshall became pastor of the New York Avenue Presbyterian Church in Washington, D.C. in 1937 and was appointed twice as U.S. Senate Chaplain, serving from January 4, 1947 until his sudden death just over two years later. He was 46 years old. [Marshall, Catherine. "A Man Called Peter", Chosen Books, Baker Publishing Group, Grand Rapids, Michigan, 1951.]
    more at the link http://en.academic.ru/dic.nsf/enwiki/1304207

------------------------------------------------------------

More information again at Peter Marshall's sons website (he is also a minister)

'Peter Marshall Ministries....America's Christian Heritage

Peter Marshall believes that it is impossible to restore America to its traditional moral and spiritual foundations unless we recover our original founding vision, and the truth about America's Christian heritage. How can we restore America if we don't know what it is that we are restoring? Woodrow Wilson, President during World War I, put it succinctly when he stated: "A nation which does not remember what it was yesterday does not know what it is today, nor what it is trying to do." And Karl Marx, the father of Communism, previewing the actions of Communist regimes in the 20th Century, said: "Take away the heritage of a people, and they are easily persuaded." That has happened to an increasing degree in America since the end of World War II, due to the omission from our history books of the Christian faith of our forefathers, and the miracles of God in our nation's past. http://petermarshallministries.com/about/heritage.cfm

Comment

I remember when they first took prayer out of school. I was in my freshman year at Mesquite High School, Mesquite, TX. They offered a morning thought for the day instead. All of us talked about the absence.

Yet, Americans are the first to ask people of the Common Wealth, "do you believe in God?"

I would not have remained sane if it wasn't for my faith. Just, Grandma Holley raised us not to talk politics or religion in public. I am getting a bit better at expressing my own opinions.
      kellyd:redrose:

Comment

He probably came from Ochiltree in East Ayrshire; according to one source, he was the son of a priest and an unmarried woman, though this is contradicted by another source that claims he was the son of a married man and an unmarried woman; he was however certainly regarded as illegitimate, and later had to gain a dispensation for his illegitimacy.[1] As a young man, Ochiltree obtained a Bachelorate in Canon Law from the University of Paris. He became a canon of the diocese of Dunblane and held the vicarage of Strogeith by 1418.[2]

[edit] Early career
        Ochiltree was involved in a long dispute at the Papal curia over the deanery of Dunblane; his opponents were John Stewart and then John de Keremor. Bishop William Stephani had appointed Michael as Dean following the death of the previous Dean, probably Donald de Bute; however, the Pope appointed John Stewart, M.A., B.L., rector of the parish of Flysk and bastard son of King Robert II of Scotland.[3]

Litigation proceeded at Rome. John gave up his claim after September 22, 1421; but, according to the reconstruction of James Hutchison Cockburn, rumours that Ochiltree had been appointed Bishop of the Isles (Sodor), led to John de Keremor petitioning for the vacant deanery. This confusion was apparently produced when a Michael Anchire, priest of the Archdiocese of Dublin, was provided to the see of Sodor.[4] Even if Cockburn is wrong, Keremor was definitely unsuccessful, and Ochiltree retained the deanery.[5]

In 1425 Ochiltree became rector of the church of Inchmagranach in the diocese of Dunkeld, and well as holding the three-year vicarage of Tibbermore, also in Dunkeld. When this three years finished, he became rector of Lilliesleaf in the diocese of Glasgow. However, he surrendered his benefices when, on June 22, 1429, he was provided as Bishop of Dunblane.[6]

[edit] Bishop of Dunblane

A chalk lithographic sketch of Dunblane Cathedral published in 1821, a half century before the reconstruction of the cathedral.
        James I and Joan Beaufort.Ochiltree's consecration did not take place immediately. As part of a large group of ambassadors including John Cameron, Bishop of Glasgow and Henry de Lichton, Bishop of Aberdeen, he was sent to England in January 1430, in order to secure peaceful relations while King James dealt with troublesome vassals within his own kingdom.[7] Ochiltree was finally consecrated some time between July 1430 and April 1431.[8]

After the assassination of King James I of Scotland at Perth on February 21, 1437, a rushed coronation took place for his infant son, who became King James II of Scotland.[9] The coronation had to be done at Holyrood Abbey because Scone, the traditional coronation site, was too dangerous. In the these circumstances, Bishop Ochiltree conducted the ceremony of anointment, a role usually reserved for a higher ranking bishop.[7]

Ochiltree's greatest accomplishment transpired in 1442. In this year he persuaded the government of James II granted the bishopric of Dunblane large tracts taken from the earldom of Strathearn, in royal hands since the execution of its last earl, Walter Stewart, in 1437. This land was conferred with extensive rights, the bishopric became a regality, and the town of Dunblane itself was elevated from an episcopal burgh to a burgh of barony.[10] As Cockburn put it, "For the first time in its history the Cathedral of Dunblane had the promise of sufficient revenue".[2]

[edit] Michael Ochiltree and the crown
        Ochiltree's career rise and the success of his episcopate were due, in large part, to the relationship he had with the Scottish royal family. He had been an "intimate friend" of King Robert III of Scotland and his wife Anabella Drummond, and then James I and his wife Joan Beaufort. Indeed, Ochiltree, despite his relatively low birth, he had been brought up at the royal court.[2] King James I called him "the familiar, the domestic and commensal of himself, his father and his mother".[2] He spent a good period of time as Almoner-General to James I.[11] His relationship with Queen Joan seems to have been particularly valuable, and it was probably her influence that led to the grant of 1442.[1]

[edit] Death
        Bishop Michael appears in the sources for the last time on September 23, 1446, witnessing a charter at Perth.[12] His successor(s) as bishop had been elected and provided sometime before October 27, 1447, meaning that the date of his death fell between these two dates.[8] As well as the 1442 grant, he is remembered as having built the "Bishop's Bridge" between Ardoch and Muthill, and to have reconstituted the church at the latter location.[13] He is also remembered for his frequent attendance at parliament, for which he was, among other things, an auditor of accounts.[14] Cockburn, minister and historian, asserted that "Since Clement, no Bishop of Dunblane had occupied the See with such comprehensive competence as Michael".[14]

Borrowed from Wikapedia...

This is probably the beginning of our Ochiltree line. Altho, Michael was Catholic, our family chose to follow the Episcopalian faith. My paternal line had three ministers, currently there are several living in Washington State that follow this tradition..

Comment

Mama,

Your research is wonderful as usual. You should do something here on Grandpappy Jerry Bell Howell, he was a minister.
          kellyd:redrose:

Comment

Working...
          X