Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Want Everyone to Know!!

Hey!
    Just wanted y'all to be aware of this scam. The other day my mom and dad, my son's grandparents, got an "urgent" call that my son was in Mexico City in a jail for renting a car and getting drunk and having an accident. They told my dad specific instructions to mail only a money order for $2,800, $3,800 if they wanted my son out that day. My folks aren't into the Internet, but my dad is very wise and after the initial shock, started questioning everything. They were told not to contact us but they did finally get in touch with my son who told them he was on his way to Michigan. My very best friend who is a lawyer told them this is a common scam. You can look up anyone on the Internet and find out just about everything. Don't know how wide spread it is but just so you will be aware. My dad had actually gone to his bank and got a money order.

Re: Want Everyone to Know!!

Diane, I go into AARP's community forum website, & there's many topics on there about these type of scams. Some are dating scams, where a guy who talks to you online, gets to know you, & then asks for $$$, in similar fashion. Such as aiding him to take money into Nigeria, or something like the one you posted. That's one they do pull on grandparents. Keep yourself aware, & check your Junk mail, oftentimes I get scammers who send out massive mailings, as they do buy our email addresses, somehow. I always check that those are hoaxes or scam emails, on my email account. Joan

Comment

I have been forced to have an intense dislike of spammers. Years ago I would get up to sixty messages per day from them until I took advantage of my Server's spam deterrent program. But that has a problem. If someone wants to reach me their message will be rejected if their address is not on my friends list. Can't win against the scourge of the internet. But the positive - the ugly seem to have given up on me - checking my log I'm down to a couple per day from them.

Comment

An easy way around most spam is to have two email addresses, this is what i do. Open a Hotmail account specifically for using when you are required to give a valid email address when accessing new or unfamiliar web pages. Only use you regular email address for people you know and trust. When your Hotmail mailbox is full simply open another, also if you check the hotmail account, never open any of the email messages, just scroll through them to be sure there are none you want to keep. Spammers know when your email address is active otherwise. I started doing this after my usual email in-box kept filling up with all sorts of junk, now-a-days i get NO spam.
        Euan..

Comment

Working...
        X