Possible disruption of service

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible disruption of service

Steve phoned me last night to say that we are scheduled to migrate to our new telco and thus new IP's for our web sites tonight 10th January 2012.

We hope that the preparation work we've done will mean there is no down time but there is no way to be certain so this is just a heads up of a possible disruption due to this move. At its very worst we should not be down for more than 24 hours but if down at all hopefully just a few hours.

Once this move is complete we should be able to get working on all the enhancements and upgrades that have been on hold now for some time.

Alastair

Re: Possible disruption of service

Just to say the move didn't happen last night but is now scheduled for tonight (11th). It's a bit techie but Steve tells me Network Solutions will have updated our new DNS information during today so by delaying the move 24 hours we hope there will be minimum downtime.

Alastair

Comment

OK.. well Steve phoned to say he's at last going to do the move of our servers arund 12 nooin today (Tues 24th) EST. Hopefully we won't be down for long as he's apparently setup alternative DNS and other techie things so we just need time to unplug the servers, load them into the van and drive them to the new location, just some several hundred yards away and then plug them back in. So hopefully no more than an hour.

Alastair

Comment

Nothing is ever simple it seems. So the move is now scheduled for tomorrow morning - Wednesday 25th. Seems the domain name server entries had to be updated which was done today. Tomorrow morning first thing Steve will do the final admin task and then head over to get the servers and move them to their new home. I'm told that despite all the prep work we've done we may still be unavailable for up to 24 hours as it can take that time to propigate all our new IP's around the world.

Alastair
        Alastair

Comment

Well at long last we made the move. We were unavailable for a time but seem to be mostly back up now. In the event it took quite a while to get back to us that is actually down to your Internet Provider and how they have their DNS configured.

We're giving this another 24 hours to settle down and then onwards and upwards we hope. I can already detect that things are faster so that's good news.

Alastair

Comment

Just as an update... we were trying to add a comments system to our Electric Scotland site but hit problems. We have two problems one of which we can solve but will take a few days of work. The other issue is one we don't yet have a resolution for but hope to get it resolved when the technical support folk get back on Monday.

So I've pulled the plug on this until we can get ourselves sorted out.

Alastair

Comment

Working...
            X