Australia Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Australia Day

I was going to post this Wednesday evening but with the scheduled disruption I though I better post a little early.

Wishing everyone in Oz a wonderful day on Thursday.

Re: Australia Day

Thanks for that. It looks like it's going to be a rainy one here in NSW. This has been, so far, the coldest and wettest summer for 50 years in the eastern States anyway :crazy:. WA is having a 40 deg heatwave.

Elda

Comment

Hey... Happy Australia Day to our Aussies out there <grin>

Got to confess it was only by moving to Canada that I found out they had a Canada Day and I never took notice of Thanksgiving or 4th of July either.

Of course Scotland doesn't hava a Scotland Day although I guess St Andrews Day was it but again it never seemed to be celebrated in Scotland but only overseas by ex-pat Scots.

Alastair

Comment

Thanks for the good wishes to us Scots down under. Been 37%C here for last few days and some of my poor plants have suffered. I had tomatoes cooking on the bushes. My chillies have thrived though and have picked a dozen today.. Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi Oi !!! :cool:

Comment

When I first came here 40 years ago they didn't celebrate Australia Day like they do now. It's really only been about the last 15/20 years that it's become an enjoyable celebration. Come to think of it, I think it started when we had the bi-centenary in 1988....it's kind of grown since then. What do you think Mary?

Elda

Comment

Hi Elda, I came out in 87 so was involved in the bi-centenary in 88. I think it was a new thing for Aussies then to celebrate Australia Day but admit to enjoying it. A great way for us to celebrate coming to a new country and my kids were interviewed at school for the newsletter on their impressions, it made life a lot easier for them to settle in. They are all Aussies but remember their Scottish roots even the 2 youngest who were born here think of themselves as Scottish.. Not bad as they all had an English dad!! I called him a pseudo Scot as he embraced Scottish life more than me when we lived there..

Comment

Working...
            X