Girl Scouts Centennial

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Girl Scouts Centennial

Girl Scouts began in Savannah, Ga, on March 12, 1912, when Juliette "Daisy" Low assembled 18 girls for what is considered the first Girl Scout meeting in history.

According to the Girl Scout website, it was her goal to bring girls out of isolated home environments and into community service and the open air. Girl Scouts hiked, played basketball, went on camping trips, learned how to tell time by the stars and studied first aid.

Here in my county in Indiana, we are celebrating this as a birthday party. I am attending this evening in order to join with other "old" GS leaders, & hopefully some of our "old" troops to talk & find out what's gone on with everyone. Girl Scouting in my own life was very important, as I joined when in about the 2nd grade. Had two leaders, both in Brownies, & then as an older girl, as Junior GS, then what was called then...Senior GS. In other words, I was in Scouting for about 9 years as a girl, then about 6 years as an adult.

When in England, I worked as a counselor at a GS camp near Font Hill Abbey in the south. That was quite a "trip"!!! I also worked with adult leaders at our base with a small troop. When I became an adult, I started a Brownie troop at the elementary school as there'd been none till then. My own daughter was only 3 at the time, & I didn't have a car to get there, so talked my dear neighbor into being my assistant leader, & we went on. Had a great time with the girls, cooking out, making tin can stoves, etc. When it came time for those girls to "fly up", I talked another mother into becoming a leader for that troop of Girl Scouts, plus an assistant leader as well. When the opportunity came to those older girls to go to an organized camp nearby, I told the leader that I would help her. And we did. The Girl Scout experience has enriched & colored my life brightly.

I'd like to hear IF any of our women on this site, has had an experience with Girl Scouting. It was a wonderful learning experience for me, that I draw upon still. Salute!!! Joan :shamrock:

PS: My daughter eventually became a GS leader herself, where she lives.

Re: Girl Scouts Centennial

Joan,

Great story, here are a couple of links about the Girl Guides/Girl Scouts in Australia..........Enjoy.

FEATURE ARTICLE 4: GIRL GUIDES – LEADING THE WAY FOR AUSTRALIAN GIRLS AND YOUNG WOMEN

In 2010 Girl Guides Australia is celebrating ‘100 years of changing lives’. One hundred years of enabling girls and young women to grow into confident, self respecting, responsible community members - young women who are empowered to become the community leaders of tomorrow, who care about the environment and the people of their local and global communities, and are willing to go that extra mile to serve these communities. Girl Guides Australia is a volunteer led organisation, with volunteers operating at all levels, from the Chief Commissioner at the head of the organisation to the Leaders and Guide supporters at the local level.

More here. http://www.abs.gov.au/AUSSTATS/abs@....009%E2%80%9310

FAQ

Why is Guiding for your daughter?
    You would like your daughter to be independent, self-confident, and have every opportunity to experience life.

Life is very busy and you can't always spend as much time with her as you would like for her to experience a variety of opportunities. Besides, she would probably prefer to be with her friends. And you may not have the skills or time to take on the adventurous activities that many young girls like to do.

http://www.girlguides.org.au/Join-Guides/FAQ.html

Comment

Working...
    X