Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Heat and drought

1. Re: Heat and drought

HI to all...I'm much more alert in this cooler weather. It's only 79 degrees F, on my Weather Channel on computer. However, it's usually cooler outside my kitchen window, on thermometer. Okay, just wanted to put in an update:

I heard on the TV news the other evening that it has been confirmed, The month of July has been the Hottest EVER!!! at least here in the States. I have been able to have a few bits of swiss chard from my garden, & yesterday planted some green & wax beans, & some cloves of Elephant Garlic. So, I'm optimistic. My neighbors gave me some sweet corn, & I had it within 20 mins of picking, it was delicious. We've had a few rains, nothing for an all day drenching, though. Thanks for listening. Joan

2. Like Lizzie, Diane, 1938 Observer, Ranald liked this post.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Heat and drought

Reviving this thread with a wee update from the US East coast. We did hav e the blazing hot July with lots of days over 100 degrees. However, to Gordon's point, I am just outside Washington DC so we could be at the epicenter of the heat problem After July though, it has been much cooler than normal. August is notoriously uncomfortable here, which is why all the Pols leave town in August. An old tradition from before the days of AC.

From an agricultural prospective, we belong to a CSA (community support agriculture) meaning we buy all our produce directly from a local farm, including picking a great deal of it ourselves. What we've seen is early ripening all season long. We just started picking apples. Two weeks early for that. Everything has been extra flavorful and more concentrated. Since we also grow grapes for wine in this area, that should be very good news as long as September doesn't turn soggy like last year. Our biggest problem has been keeping water on everything. The farm has irrigation, so they have been able to keep the crops alive. Corn has be just alright. Although a coworker that lives in Maryland said his CSA had European corn borer infestation. Most CSAs are organic, so these types of pests are very damaging. Well, that's all for the farm report ....lol.
    Creag an Tuirc!

4. Like Lizzie, 1938 Observer liked this post.

Post Thanks / Like

My understanding is that irrigation is the key... well irrigated farms have done much better during the high temperatures. I was reading 10 acres enough and enjoyed reading the chapter on their Kitchen Garden at http://www.electricscotland.com/agri.../10acres09.htm

Alastair

6. Thanks Lizzie thanked for this post.

Post Thanks / Like

I think we've officially broken the drought here. We've had at least some rain 5 of the last 6 days. Things are actually turning green outside again!
    Creag an Tuirc!

8. Like miolchu liked this post.

Post Thanks / Like

Just think of those folk that experienced that heat but had no electricity across a chuck of the eastern states due to that storm. I really don't know how they coped.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information