Heat and drought

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heat and drought

It is 37.7777778 C (for readers literate in the metric system; 100F for us in the colonies) outside right now in eastern Wyoming. I was forced to retreat indoors and set up my air conditioner so the hounds and I do not spontaneously combust.

I think I will have a meaningful relationship with this air conditioner over the weekend.

Re: Heat and drought

Just think of those folk that experienced that heat but had no electricity across a chuck of the eastern states due to that storm. I really don't know how they coped.

Alastair

Comment

I sympathize with them. I have sweated off 20 pounds this summer. I am embarrassed to go out in public because it smells like I am frying bacon (and I don't even eat the stuff). Humor aside, the heat is dangerous. It can kill.

Comment

Hey Thomas,
        Sorry to hear about your heat wave. I can sympathize. However, we have had nothing but rain for over a week or so!! Finally. It also keeps the temperatures down some. Now don't be telling Alastair that you don't eat bacon as he loves it.

Comment

Indeed I do and am just off to have a couple of bacon rolls for my breakfast! <grin>

Alastair

Comment

Just a tempting "add-on".....When I was in England, we often bought sausage rolls. However, they actually were rather greasy if my memory is correct, but I did like them. Joan

Comment

Originally posted by Alastair View Post
              Indeed I do and am just off to have a couple of bacon rolls for my breakfast! <grin>

Alastair
              Alastair

Just in case you are still peckish...............try this one................

Comment

Originally posted by FriedaKateM View Post
                Just a tempting "add-on".....When I was in England, we often bought sausage rolls. However, they actually were rather greasy if my memory is correct, but I did like them. Joan
                Well Joan,
                time to get to the kitchen and make your own taste treats.

Comment

I get the nice crusty rolls and then put in smoked back bacon along with a fried egg... then toast them up in a hot oven to ensure they are crisp. The bacon in North America is certainly different to what we get in Britain. I find most of the bacon is streaky whereas we used to get back or middle rashers in Britain and not much streaky bacon although it was available.

Having spent 3 months of my life cutting up sides of bacon I have to say that the actual streaky bacon is only a small part of the side. Most were the middle rashers and again a smaller portion of what we called long back.

Got a description of bacon from wiki...

United Kingdom and Ireland

Grilled or fried bacon are included in the traditional full breakfast. An individual slice of bacon is a rasher, or occasionally a collop. In this region, bacon comes in a wide variety of cuts and flavors:

The term bacon on its own suggests the more common back bacon, but can refer to any cut.
                  Slices from the pork belly (with streaks of meat and of fat) are referred to as streaky bacon, streaky rashers or belly bacon.
                  Slices from the back of the pig are referred to as back bacon or back rashers, and usually include a streaky bit and a lean oval bit.
                  Middle cuts with an eye of meat and an extended streaky section are common.
                  Heavily trimmed back cuts which may consist of just the eye of meat are available.

Alastair

Comment

Alastair, please mind what you write. I could hear my arteries crackling just reading your last post.

Wow, this thread has really gotten sideways from the weather! :cool:

Comment

Getting it back on subject - 96F here in NJ today. Enough already!

Comment

Lizzie & all...I agree, this has been the worst summer I can remember here in SE Indiana. The corn is about 3 ft tall, with tassels, but no ears and/or silks to catch the pollen. The bottom of the stalks are yellow to brown, dried up. The heat is ungodly. Probably that's why Tom & all of us are talking about frying!!! As I speak, at 10:20 PM, it is still 81 degrees F. Muggy, with extreme humidity. My cats lie on the bare kitchen floor, or keep their heads on metal strips between rooms. A couple of them lie in the bathtub, as the porcelain is coolish.

Also, off the subject again, this is the very first time I've opened this site up in Mozilla Firefox. So far, all is good. I tried to type in BBC news.co.uk addie, but this also was denied to me. What a weird problem with the computer!!!

My step-grandson, Matthew, who's a farm hand, says that likely most of the farmers will chop the corn down, & then age it & put it into silage, as feed for the cows. No real corn kernels as yet. I did see a healthy soybean crop today, in coming back from Cincinnati, but not sure now, if it was in Indiana. Just the ramblings of a hot "mama"...HA!!!!! Joan

Comment

Originally posted by Lizzie View Post
                          Getting it back on subject - 96F here in NJ today. Enough already!
                          Lizzie,
                          Sorry about the deviation,:wink: all that talk of food cooking turned my head

Back to basics, temp here today is 13C [winter], summer maximum is about 24C :cool:

Hope all you folks over there have some relief soon from the current conditions

Gordon. :redrose:

Comment

Heh Gordon.
                            Unfortunately to two do go hand in hand. Things seem to be pretty bad out in the corn belt with dire predictions of food shortages. When I look at the price of groceries compared to just last year, I cringe at what is ahead for those low on the totem pole.

Comment

Wonder why it is that North America seems to go from one extreme to another weatherwise? Surely there must be a scientific reason?

Elda

Comment

Working...
                              X