Gulf Oil Spill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gulf Oil Spill

This item illustrates one of the weaknesses of the Obama administration, and the fact that the American public are aware of it.

Wall Street Journal "Notable & Quotable" item - 12 June 2010

Juan Williams, an analyst for National Public Radio and Fox News, commenting on Fox News Sunday about President Obama's sinking approval ratings:

I think the problem here is this is an administration that, as Hillary Clinton famously pointed out, you may not want to have answer the 3:00 a.m. call. These are guys who have tremendous vision about legislative achievements and specific things like health care, going forward on immigration, those difficult issues. But when it comes to the crisis, when it comes to the gulf oil spill, the wars, the recession, they feel as if it's being imposed upon them, rather than taking the helm. That's whai Americans are sensing right here. . . . Are you able to handle a crisis in a convincing way that inspires confidence?

And so far, the president hasn't done that.

Another article from the Wall Street Journal...

REVIEW& OUTLOOK I JUNE 15, 2O1O
    Obama's Political Oil Fund

In its Gulf spill panic, the White House runs roughshod ouer the rule of law.

The BP oil spill is already a calamity for the Gulf Coast ecosystem and economy, but now that Washington is looking to deflect all political blame it could also became a disaster for the rule of law. Exhibit C, or perhaps it's now D, is the new White House demand that BP pay into an escrow account controlled by government to pay for the economic costs of the spill.

Exhibit A was the public announcement by Attorney General Eric Holder that his Department had opened a criminal probe ofthe spill, a fact usually kept under wraps to protect the innocent.

Then came the President's suggestion that BP suspend its dividend, which is crucial to the retirement of thousands of shareholders. BP may decide it is pmdent to suspend its dividend while it gets a better handle on its ultimate liability. But the White House has no legal basis to compel such a decision. Meanwhile, Democrats in Congress are preparing to lift their own $7S million liability cap and apply that retroactively to BP, another move of dubious legality. No wonder Britain's Prime Minister and other officials are alarmed about the fate of one of their country's foremost corporations. This is the kind of treatment that Americans would protest if it were applied to U.S. companies by Venezuela or Russia.

None of this is to absolve BP for any bad judgments or shortcuts that contributed to this disaster, but there is not a chance of that happening. The more pertinent question is whether BP will sulive, despite its ample cash flow, once the U.S. political and liability systems are done making the company pay. Neither punishment-by-bankruptcy nor extralegal looting will help Gulf victims.

Which brings us to the escrow demand that the President will presumably elaborate on in his Oval Office speech tonight. The idea is for BP to turn its assets over to a fund administered by an "independent" trustee who would decide what are legitimate damage claims from Gulf residents and businesses. Senate Democrats have graciously advised BP to start its payments to the fund at $20 billion. The White House knows it has no legal authority to demand such a corporate ATM card, but it is counting on public anger to coerce BP to go along. The White House also knows BP is currently operating under the oil Pollution Act, a piece of legislation passed in 1990 by a Democratic Congress.

A comprehensive response to the 1989 Exoron Valdez spill, the law was the product of 15 months of Congressional work and earned nearly unanimous bipartisan support. The bill made polluting oil companies responsible for all containment and clean-up costs. The law also established a claims process, which requires that companies compensate businesses or individuals harmed by oil spills.

BP has more than 6oo claims personnel working to payfishermen and others that have suffered economic damage. It has vowed to pay all 'legitimate" claims and has worked through 20,000 of 42,000 submitted so far, at a cost of $53 million. BP has also promised it will not limit its payments to the Oil Pollution Act's $75 million cap on these damages,
    and last month it announced it would hire an independent mediator to review claims. Any claimant denied payment has the right to sue for redress under the law, which means BP has an incentive to get these payouts right.

By contrast, a government-administered fund more or less guarantees a more politicized payment process. The escrow administrator will be chosen by the White House, and as such would be influenced by the Administration's political goals. Those goals would include payments to those harmed by the Administration's own six-month deep water drilling ban. That reckless policy will soon put thousands of Gulf Coast residents out of work, but the White House knows that BP isn't liable under current law for those claims. The escrow account is an attempt to tap BP's funds by other means to paythe costs of Mr. Obama's own policyblunder.
    Every gr spent to pay for damages caused by the moratorium is also gr less available for the oil-spill victims for which this money was intended. And that's before other interest groups popular with Democrats, such as the plaintiffs bar, plead their cases to the escrow fund's King Solomon.

Democrats are vowing this fund will be tightly crafted and used only for oil-spill payments. But only last week Democrats on Capitol Hill wanted to siphon money out of the Oil Spill Liability Trust Fund-established in 1986 and funded by oil taxes to help clean-up spills-to pay for their extension of unemployment benefits. The history of such government funds is that they are always raided for politically favored purposes.

BP is financially responsible for the Deepwater Horizon gusher, and the White House should want the company to stay healthy enough to honor those obligations. Instead, the administration's denunciations and legally dubious demands are compounding the damage.

Offshore drilling, even in shallow water, is coming to a stop as the entire industry considers the additional political risks of operating amid a political panic in which even the President of United States seems oblivious to the rule of law. We hope BP resists Mr. Obama's demands to put a political actor in control of its Gulf payments-both for the sake of legitimate Gulf claims, and to vindicate the U.S. as a nation that doesn't discard the law for the sake of political
    retribution.

We also hope other politicians, in the U.S. or U.K., begin to push back against a White House more concerned about its poll numbers than about the U.S. or GuH Coast economies.

Re: Gulf Oil Spill

Alistair, in my view, you could put many political leaders in the Obama boat, there are always more than one rotten apple in the barrel. GWB did a terribel job in the aftermath of hurricane Katrina, and i believe there are still many people trying to recover from it.
    Closer to home, our ex Prime Minister Kevin Rudd (or Krudd) as he is affectionatly called(or was),had an approval rating near 70% (I'm sure everyone has heard of Kevin 07),after he was elected nearly three years ago. However the GFC soon put the brakes on that,his spendthrift ways didn't fool the public,rushing hairbrained schemes through government. One of which cost the lives of three young men,(installing insulation in homes without proper training).
    The ETS was another one shuffled away into the too hard basket, even after all his posturing on the world stage,a backflip was nessesary. Not surprisingly, his approval rating started tumbling to figures not seen before for a first term Prime Minister.
    The inevitable outcome came to fruition, the backroom heavy weights (the unions) in the Labor party staged a coup d'état, turfed out the elected leader, and installed his deputy, a woman (a sure vote winner) until she also shows her true colors.
    All this because an Election is due just around the corner, and the thought of losing after one term (and after spending nearly two decades in opposition) was too hard to swallow.
    Ah yes, never assume politicians think of anyone but themselves...convincing the voting public is just a means to an end.
    Euan..

Comment

What I don't get is how the general public only seem to remember that last negative thing any politician does. They never bring up the goods things. I don't get how it's Obama's fault about the oil spill or how it's Rudd's fault about people getting killed installing insulation.
      It seems to me that PM Rudd gave age pensioners the best raise they have had for 2 decades and his policies stopped us joining the rest of the western world in recession and unemployment. It seems to me that President Obama is attempting to give Americans a health care system which they are sorely lacking.......could it be that those health care companies who will be affected are paying a lot of money to discredit him......surely not.

Comment

I think that is the problem with politics in that neither side wants to give any credit to the other side. It seems to be one side is for the welfare state and the other is for private enterprise. In my view there is a place for both.

I also think the media is to blame for a lot of the problems in the way they deal with politicians All the media seem to want to do is blame one side or the other and whatever they feel will get them the most viewers. Part of what politics is about is persuading people to come on your side. That means people should be open to persuasion but if a politician changes their mind on a topic the media cry U-Turn, Resign. I think if the media were more reasonable then the politicians would be also and we'd get a much more open debate.

Fact of life is that the welfare state can only be funded through either higher taxes or through private businesses selling more thus raising more tax revenue. When taxes get too high then businesses move to another country and hence you hear about many American and Canadian businesses moving to Mexico.

The you get the evolving situation where Japan after the war started to innovate rather than copy and they started to do very well indeed. The problem then was that their labour costs started to increase and to keep competitive businesses moved to Korea and Singapore. Then these countries also started to innovate and their labour costs started to rise.

As of right now we can see that the two countries that are making the most progress are China and India. China has just taken over 2nd spot in the world and India is not far behind.

America has a whole set of problems that comes from being an "old" super power. They are failing to innovate. You now have the situation where Americans won't work for low wages and hence the huge illegal immigrant population from Mexico. If Americans were prepared to take those jobs then there would be no work for these illegal immigrants. Then their debt is now huge and so the interest to pay for those debts is also huge meaning less money is now available to fund projects. Due to lack of innovation it's doubtful if America can trade their way out of their problems.

At the end of the day it's greed that is causing so many problems. Shareholders are demanding more dividends so companies have to try and cut costs as well as sell more. I think this is what led BP to be in the mess they are in right now. In the old days of the company they did produce good profits but they also paid a lot of attention to safety which is a cost. They have in the past several years chased profits to the point where they are cutting costs on things that matter.

Likewise individuals want more, higher pensions, better health care, less working hours. And they want more televisions, more mobile phones, more computers, more cars. And if we don't buy more then companies won't sell as much and so individual debt continues to rise as we want it now and are not prepared to save up for it. I noted a recent report that Canadians now have more individual debt than the Americans do. The Canadian government is quite concerned about that and we are just coming up to the time the baby boomers are due to retire.

And the baby boomer generation is another whole set of problems are when they retire will there be people to take their places and we are not as well educated as we were. And as they get older the calls on health care are going to get greater.

I don't have answers to all this mind you but the future does not look that great.

Comment

Elda, the BP oil disaster is certainly not Obama's fault, however it's his job to fix it, either by forcing BP to do it properly at any cost, or organizing other people to fix it at BP's cost.Where's Red Adair when you need him http://www.redadair.com/
          Likewise for Ex PM Krudd, however his "policies", funded incidently,by nearly 12 years of Conservative government savings,(but you will never hear Labor acknowledge that fact), did in fact save us from recession, however the long term legacy of those policies will be debt up to our eyeballs for decades to come.
          Fortunately, our elected governments have to face the voters every three years...and not soon enough for this current government,it's report card will receive a dismal failure..
          Euan..

Comment

Actually, I don't know why I'm offering a reply and comment. The whole Gulf Oil Spill is too, totally confusing to me. Only one video has been shown, shot by an environmentalist, that was descriptive of what is happening. That video showed dolphin pods in death throes, whales covered with oil. All the media had shown were some birds covered in oil along the shore. This man flew out over the ocean and took the documentary record. Why didn't I write his name down, so I could google some information about him. It was only shown once, and as usual the American people are treated like pacifier babies with no revelation about what is really happening. For what reason I don't know. I suppose to protect our tender sensibilities or something. All we see is that pipe with oil bubbling and no stopping it, coming out of the thing from the bottom of the ocean. Reminds me of the Frankenstein, Werewolf, Vampire movies they showed us when we were kids to keep us off the streets, out of the dark at night.

My lack of trust in the media goes back to when there was the showing of the kidnapping of the boy from Cuba during the Clinton administration, while a war holding terrorists activities was raging in Iraq, all not even reported on by the media. We were like blind sheep, blandly watching the manuevering of limosines around the whitehouse driving around the place with a eleven year old Cuban boy intact, and wondering, "What is the world is this?"

On that note, even with the saddness in my heart as a Native American who knows the touch of the earth, the feel of cool breezes on my face, and the beauty of clean, clear water, I must say, the only way I can cope is to dismiss this from my mind so that, I can continue with the battles in my own space.

Donna, Ponca, Oklahoma

Comment

I agree with Alastair and Donna. The media causes a lot of problems by not reporting accurately (or not at all). The general population are like sheep and believe every word they read. As an example, I recall when the previous Pope visited Australia and my late husband worked for Qantas at the Jet Base which incorporated Sydney International Airport. The Pope was due to arrive at 9p.m. and at 8A.M. some little pompous middle management guy announced over the P.A. that 15 minutes was being allowed for people to move their cars from a particular employee car park. Being a huge area, by the time a number of the employees arrived, their cars were already being loaded to be taken away. The men walked out in protest.
              The next day the newspaper headlings said "Qantas employees walk out in protest of Pope's visit". What a load of crap! Since then I have never believed half the stories written in newspapers. BTW, the pompous middle management guy was sacked.

Comment

I think about the people who live down there.
                They have no work because of the oil spill and wild life that is lost or dead.
                The oil has spread to Texas and Florida.
                It was greed BP was negligent by failing to install a safety device that would have avoided the oil spill .
                Last edited by Marie; 7 July 2010, 07:18.
                Marie

Comment

LONDON — Oil giant BP said Thursday that it planned to start drilling off the coast of Libya within weeks despite calls from U.S. senators for a moratorium over the company's alleged links to the release of the Lockerbie bomber.

Senator Kirsten Gillibrand, D-N.Y., told NBC’s TODAY on Thursday that the U.K. government should investigate what role the company played in the decision to free Abdel Baset al-Megrahi in August 2009.

"We want a moratorium on the drilling [by BP] off Libya's coast. We believe BP should not be allowed to drill until we have resolution of this," she told the show.

Al-Megrahi, 57, is the only person convicted of carrying out the 1988 bombing of a U.S. airliner over Lockerbie, Scotland, that killed 270 people.

He was released on compassionate grounds by the Scottish government after doctors said he was likely just months from death. Nearly a year later, he remains alive.

BP signed a $900 million exploration agreement with Libya in May 2007, the same month that Britain and Libya signed an agreement that paved the way for al-Megrahi's release from a Scottish prison.

BP has admitted that it lobbied the British government over a prisoner transfer deal with Libya in late 2007, but denied playing any role in the actual decision to release al-Megrahi nearly two years later.

Story continues below More below
                  Advertisement | ad infoSponsored links
                  Marketplace
                  .Senator Charles Schumer, D-N.Y., also speaking on TODAY, said: "The whole thing has deep circumstantial evidence that points to the fact that there was a trade-off — release the terrorist in exchange for an oil contract."

"It also says that our war on terrorism — this is one of the worst terrorists of the last century — can be traded off for blood money," he added.

BP told msnbc.com Thursday that it planned to press ahead with its exploration of the area.

"The rig is on location. It is being made ready and going through final tests," BP spokesman Robert Wine said.
                  "We are planning to start drilling within the next few weeks," he added.
                  Steve Field, a spokesman for U.K. Prime Minister David Cameron’s office, said there was “no link between the Scottish executive’s decision to release Megrahi” and BP, news service Bloomberg reported.
                  'Profit ahead of people'
                  Earlier this week, Gillibrand, Schumer and two other senators — Robert Menendez and Frank Lautenberg — wrote to Secretary of State Hillary Clinton asking that the State Department investigate whether BP had a hand in the release.
                  "Evidence in the Deepwater Horizon disaster seems to suggest that BP would put profit ahead of people — its attention to safety was negligible and it routinely underestimated the amount of oil gushing into the Gulf," they wrote. "The question we now have to answer is, was this corporation willing to trade justice in the murder of 270 innocent people for oil profits?"
                  The aim of the State Department investigation, they wrote, would be to "fully determine the legitimacy of the decision to release this mass murderer and to fully understand the source of revenue streams for this corporation, which owes American taxpayers and coastal families billions of dollars."
                  Menendez and Lautenberg represent New Jersey and Gillibrand and Schumer represent New York. People from both states were among those who died in the Lockerbie bombing.
                  "I have received the [senators'] letter and we will obviously look into it," Clinton said in response to a reporter's question.
                  Click here for related content Senators seek probe into alleged BP-Lockerbie link Doctor: Lockerbie bomber may live 10 years Libyans welcome Lockerbie bomber home Despite Lockerbie, Libya's open for business ..In a statement Thursday, BP re-iterated a previous admission about its role in the Libya-U.K. prisoner transfer deal.
                  Story continues below More below Advertisement | ad infoSponsored links Marketplace ."It is a matter of public record that in late 2007, BP told the U.K. government that we were concerned about the slow progress that was being made in concluding a Prisoner Transfer Agreement with Libya," BP said. "We were aware that this could have a negative impact on U.K. commercial interests, including the ratification by the Libyan government of BP's exploration agreement."
                  However, the firm insisted it was not involved in the decision to free the bomber.
                  "The decision to release al-Megrahi in August 2009 was taken by the Scottish government," the company said. "It is not for BP to comment on the decision of the Scottish government. BP was not involved in any such discussions with the U.K. government or the Scottish government about the release of al-Megrahi."
                  Msnbc.com staff, Reuters and The Associated Press contributed to this report.

This is a ploy for greed in my personal opinion. The "little dab" of billions BP has given to America and Alaska thru the years is but a smidgeion by comparison of the profit gleaned by BP and associated partners. Had this rig not exploded, we would never have known of the history of the British Petroleum Company, the Alaska Pipeline, the Houston refinery explosion and the Lockerbie destruction. Exxon Valdez, and on and on.

This is not a business venture, this is absolute take over by terroism.

Lu.

Comment

Senator Frank Lautenberg, a New Jersey Democrat, called on the Senate Committee on Foreign Relations “to investigate the role that BP may

have played in securing the early release” of Abdel Basset Ali al-Megrahi, a former Libyan intelligence officer who was convicted of murder for t

the 1988 bombing of Pan Am Flight 103 over Lockerbie, Scotland.

http://thelede.blogs.nytimes.com/201...kerbie-convict
                    Marie

Comment

I wonder how the ax will fall on this investigation ? Had the Gulf incident had not happened...BP would be 150 miles out into the Gulf drilling miles under the earths crust and shipping oil "over there" and we would have never known the difference. Thank God the well blew so we could learn..

When that is successful all over the world as it is beginning to 'gel' guess who will hold the power....

Comment

US conspiracy theories running rampant.

It's called "deflect the blame"

When will someone in the US admit to the American companies and policies involved in this disaster.
                        Certainly BP is not blameless and there are some very serious doubts about the whole Lockerbie "thing" but it is NOT limited to one company...

Sandy

Comment

The cap on Oil spill held all night, PB had been checking it every 6 hours.
                          Marie

Comment

I found this story interesting...
                            http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...MNM21EF4FD.DTL
                            My personal view is the oil companies (combined) have a lot to answer for. And to change the subject slightly, don't think the big oil companies are worried about the world running out of oil...They have their fingers in any pie that falls in their lap.
                            Euan..

Comment

Originally posted by sandyc View Post
                              US conspiracy theories running rampant.

It's called "deflect the blame"

When will someone in the US admit to the American companies and policies involved in this disaster.
                              Certainly BP is not blameless and there are some very serious doubts about the whole Lockerbie "thing" but it is NOT limited to one company...

Sandy
                              Spot on.......their theories on this and badly flawed intelligence estimate on Iraq's "Weapons of mass destruction" have certainly never given me any confidence in the theories that constantly seem to flow with ease from US Officialdom/Industrialists.....an inherent ....."not me sir...it was that other boy"....forget about the "Blame Game"....just co-operate with each other and rectify the problem for all concerned.

Comment

Working...
                              X