8th of January

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8th of January

Gramma Bellzona's birthday on the 8th of January is coming up and I'm thinking of her as she played this fiddle tune for us when we were children. She was as lithe and even more so than this girl playing the mandolin. Someone said her brother Bill Collins who was a winner of the coveted Blue Grass championship composed the tune for her birthday, but that is just a story.

Someone else said it is the basis of the tune, "The Battle of New Orleans." Maybe I'll do a bit more research on it. That tune was supposedly passed down from another time and place in Scotland.

Once we went to a country dance and when I asked the fiddle player to play this the crowd absolutely all couldn't keep off the dance floor. It was like a light had been suddenly turned on in a dark room and everyone become suddenly awake.

Re: 8th of January

There is an entry on 8th of January in the Music Section (Old Time Fiddling subsection)

http://www.electricscotland.org/show...ld-Time-Fiddle

The 8th of January was written about the battle of New Orleans but the song Battle of New Orleans as performed by Johnnie Horton was written much later. Joan could probably tell you more. The mandolin player you referred to in your post is named Rhonda Vincent.

Comment

Hey, all...Being that I didn't become totally interested in fiddle music, & bluegrass till I was in my "golden years", I only remember that neato song, The Battle of New Orleans by Johnny Horton. I believe it was around when I was in late teens! I always enjoyed it! I found one on YouTube, & will post it on the Music section. Y'all take care. Joandf

PS: My father, who is deceased, plus my stepmother, were both born on January 9th, although different years!!
      Last edited by FriedaKateM; 3 January 2012, 17:50. Reason: addendum

Comment

Like you Joan, I also found a different Johnny Horton video, great pictures to go with it, plus [on a different theme] Johnny Preston with "Running Bear" [little 'White Dove' is quite cute]

Gordon.

Comment

Working...
        X