Newsnet Scotland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newsnet Scotland

I got in this email from the Newsnet Scotland folk and thought I'd share both the sad and good news with you...

Dear Newsnet Scotland Readers,

As the founding director of Newsnet Scotland Limited (NSL) it is with regret that I inform you that our board decided in July, after much deliberation and with a heavy heart, to dissolve the company. As this is the final communication between you, as a reader and NSL, it is my responsibility to provide you with information on the progress we were making, provide an outline on the unscheduled change of direction and in looking to the future, how we can continue to show passion and support for the cause of Scotland and her independence referendum.

How NSL met reader expectations

NSL was established in response to your express wishes as readers to improve and develop the Newsnet Scotland (NS) news blog site. The goal was to develop an informative site that would provide a platform for debate on world politics, with a focus on Scottish public life, and be competitive with such media outlets as the BBC.

The process of professionalising the site started with establishing a framework for editorial procedures and developing an organisational structure, which stemmed from a core volunteer base, and included contributors and writers whose articles were informative and thought provoking. We brought in well-known journalists such as Martin Hannan and secured an exclusive interview with the internationally renowned economist Professor Andrew Hughes-Hallett. There was an endorsement piece by First Minister Alex Salmond and a vibrant arts and culture section featuring exclusive interviews with famous Scots such as makar Liz Lochhead and articles written by an international authority on music – Brian Morton. We were able to utilise the talents of our multi-media team and apply a portfolio of work including video content, photography and political cartoon exhibitions to the site.

In July, NS was gaining exposure and our editor was invited as a guest on BBC Newsnight Scotland. Statistics showed that we were on target to surpass 60 000 unique views per month (Google analytics) – which equates to a 300% growth in only a few months which made NS the largest online news blog in Scotland.

With structure in place, we had begun successfully competing for the news agenda with mainstream outlets and were prepared to report at the minute, as and when news happened.

Progress on proposed initiatives

On the expansion front with a well-developed growth strategy, we were involved in sensitive negotiations in relation to joint-venture opportunities with an established media company with an international profile.

In terms of investment we were planning a board of trustees which would see the kind of investment we needed to become the number one online news provider in Scotland.

Small donations were the backbone of our site and took us to the point of becoming a serious player. This funding allowed quality journalism, research and contributions that the Scottish readers deserved. Further, the depth of what NNS provided to readers maintained the highest level of respect and professionalism.

The site was a proven success but alas was cut short of its full potential.

Unscheduled change of direction

In July, the original founder – who remains anonymous – took the decision to revert the site to an amateur blog model under his own control.

Our board was extremely concerned with this development primarily because it was contrary to what our readers and donors wanted. It also meant that jobs were lost, contractors let down, some volunteers became disenchanted and resigned and all progress came to a halt. In the worlds of Scottish politics, media and business the NS brand was irreparably damaged.

Given these unexpected circumstances our board decided to start the process of winding down the company. Consequently the Newsnet Scotland news blog is no longer operated by a registered legal entity and is therefore neither properly accountable to the authorities nor transparent.

Same focus, same passion, bigger horizons

The exciting news is that the passion and ambition of our team remains and led to us planning the launch of a new title called Scottish Times (ST). ST is owned and controlled by a legitimate company - Scot News Limited - which is registered with Companies House SC404992.

Our management team who you can read about on our information site www.ScottishTimes.ORG aims to provide local and international Scottish communities with free quality online news that challenges the news agenda in Scotland and raises the standard of debate on constitutional change, specifically on the Scottish independence referendum.

Having previously expressed a desire for Scots to show ambition for their country you will be pleased to know that ST is aiming high. Our goal is to become a world-class digital content producer and distribution platform which will rival traditional newspapers in new and innovative ways while placing Scotland at the centre of the next leap in digital journalism.

Scotland belongs to all her people – not politicians or business tycoons. There are 100 million people around the world with Scottish connections. By launching on the world stage ST will - for the first time – fully engage with that Scots diaspora who add value to their host nations wherever they go. Proud ambassadors they are an integral part of our national story and will be a key strength as we seek positive role models who clearly show that Scots have plenty to offer the world.

At ST, we make no excuses for being ambitious. We will use the latest internet technologies and website features and engineer them to harness the collective strength of you our readers, donors, your family, friends and colleagues in order maximise influence over the Scottish news agenda and compete in the mainstream Scottish news market.

Our team is busily working alongside students and staff at Jewel and Esk College, Scottish Enterprise, Interactive Scotland, Edinburgh Chamber of Commerce, designers, developers, marketing experts, project managers, technology consultants and other key advisors and partners who are all tasked with producing an international class website for the benefit of the ST community.

Find us at www.ScottishTimes.COM but for now, during our pre-launch phase, we will keep you up-to-date on the latest developments on our information website at www.ScottishTimes.ORG

The Scottish Times community

Your support as readers and donors before meant our team could raise horizons and we took on established media outlets. We hope you continue to support the ambition, ability and vision of our team with suggestions, passing on our website link to your friends and donating to the Scottish Times community.

At this early stage of building the ST community your continued support is invaluable and so we are asking you visit the site, sign up and if you or your friends will consider a one-off donation to help us develop and launch the ST website platform. Right now one Scot abroad Doug Gregory has offered to ‘double your donation’ for the first £500 donated. He told ST he believes our community can help realise the ambition our nation needs at this crucial moment in its history. Visit our site.

We don’t have much time before the referendum but if we band together we can put the future of Scotland in the hands of the Scottish people - where it belongs!

Yours For Scotland,

Alex Porter

Director, Newsnet Scotland Limited
    Director, Scot News Limited (Scottish Times)

Re: Newsnet Scotland

Hi Al,
    I have added their site into my "favourites". I cannot say that I had heard of them but will certainly now be following the progress.
    Sandy

Comment

I have enjoyed their online newspaper and feel this was something that was needed in Scotland Sandy. I certainly look forward to seeing how their new site develops.

Alastair

Comment

I've also found it interesting reading, as with Sandy, it is now in my 'favourites'
        Gordon.

Comment

Alistair, this is a scam by Alex Porter - go to the www.our-scotland.org site to read all about it - I fell for it and was quickly taken to task by
          the posters on our-scotland - here is my post:

Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:08 pm Post subject:
          Notified NNS re this fake e-mail, and received this reply:

"Dear Newsnet Scotland member

Recently some registered Newsnet Scotland members were in receipt of an email that contained inaccurate information relating to the Newsnet Scotland website, this email was not authorised by NewsnetScotland.com.

As a result of this, Newsnet Scotland has decided to email all of our current members to ensure that they are happy with their email details being held on our secure system.

We would like to emphasise that our current secure system was not compromised. The email addresses used in the unauthorised mailing appear to have been taken from a copy of an old database still held by one or more former Newsnet Scotland team members who have now set up
          another site.

If you do not wish your email address to be held by Newsnet Scotland then simply send an appropriate message to us using our online ‘Contact Us’ form. If you are happy for your details to remain with us then you need do nothing.

We apologise for emailing you in this fashion, it is something Newsnet Scotland would rather not do, however we feel that given the circumstances it is necessary if trust is to remain.

Thank You
          The Newsnet Scotland team"

Comment

Thanks for letting me know. That was quite a scam!

Alastair

Comment

Working...
            X