Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scotland on the Internet

Hey,
    Read about Scotland twice this week on the Internet. Congrats on the two new Panda Bears at the Edinburgh Zoo. I do have a question on the video I saw about this. They said this was the first time the UK had Pandas. However, they are actually in Scotland. Is this common to refer to the UK and not Scotland? No offense meant at all, just curious.

Also read that the Scotch Whiskey might become harder and more expensive to purchase due to increased demand. Apparently it takes 10 years to "age" and may not be available. Not much of a drinker so I have never tasted Scotch Whiskey. It must be very good! Hope everyone is doing good.

Re: Scotland on the Internet

Hi Diane,
    first of all there have been Pandas in the UK before. I understand the last time was 17 years ago.

Scotland is part of the UK (United Kingdom of Great Britain [England; Wales; Scotland] and Northern Ireland).

Scotch Whisky (note the spelling) is one of the largest exports and as such is very important to the economy of the Scotland (i.e. by definition the UK). Scotland does not levy its own taxes therefore the taxes are paid to the UK government.
    Ageing is an important part of the process in developing the product and there are two main branches - blends and malts - and also "grains".
    Malts are a single make of whisky from one distillery.
    Blends are made with more than one Malt with also usually a 'grain'.

The statement about ageing for 10 years is a bit misleading I think. It is possible to purchase whiskies which are 3 years old and these are generally "blends".
    I suspect that the 10 year time frame is usually applied to Malts...

The existing storage facilities can only hold a specific volume of liquid. Even if more storage is created the whisky will not reach the marketplace until it has "matured".

Hope this helps.

Sandy

Comment

Hi Diane,
      Hi All,

There is a great supplement of Whisky in the Scots Magazine every month, all the Malts/blends etc., and where they come from.

If you enjoy a "wee dram", it makes interesting reading.

Comment

I might add that there is also an article in each issue of Beth's Family Tree.

Alastair

Comment

Working...
        X